The Brasshouse on Broad St. Birmingham, West Midlands
The Birmingham Brasshouse was established in 1781. At that time the manufacturers of the Town of Birmingham relied on prices set by Brasshouses in other parts of the country. It was decided that a local centre was needed to try to help stabilise price fluctuations. 200 proprietors had to raise £100 each to set up the centre and as a result of their endeavours the price of brass fell from £84 to £56 a ton.